Personal Professional Development Fund or PPDF
The Personal Professional Development Fund was created as a result of a Letter of Intent between the Board of Trustees and the Association. The fund is intended to stimulate and provide financial assistance for personal professional development of professional staff in the Division who are members of the Association covered by the Collective Agreement of the River East Transcona Teachers’ Association.
(New) Applications for the PPDF open as follows:
- PD occurring in the first term (July 1st-January 31st) - The first working day in June.
- PD occurring in the second term (February 1st-June 30th) - The first working day in October.
This assistance will normally be used to fund:
- Educational leave and attendance at conferences, seminars, and workshops.
- Non credit courses.
- Professional programs organized by outside agencies.
Frequently Asked Questions
To submit a PPDF application you need to go to the RETTA website first. In our library you will find the PPDF “Request for Support” application form. Along with this form you must include:
- A copy of the program or conference brochure or a print out from the website, something that includes the dates (because you need to book a sub accordingly!)
- A completed Authorization for Substitute (That’s the three part one) form with the Request for Support (That’s the application form) form. The principal’s signature is required. In the "Approving Department" section just put in "P.P.D.F"
- A Rationale on a separate page that talks about why you would like to go to this PD and any other PD you may have attended in the past five (5) years with support from PPDF. You must also include how you will share your experience with others.
There are a number of criteria that are considered when applying for a PPDF. Make this clear in your rationale.
- Relevance to your current teaching assignment
- Relevance to related activities as part of professional assignment
- Relevance to subject area professional development
- Relevance to individual growth plan outcomes
- Relevance to personal professional development needs
- Relevance to student learning and teaching practice
- The cost of your sub is covered by PPDF but not included in the $1950 or $500 maximum. That means you have that entire amount for registration and expenses.
- Remember, you can apply for $1950 every third year, then you get nothing the next year, $500 the third year and then you’re eligible for $1950 again. You can claim $500 every year until you decide to go for $1950.
- You can have a maximum of 2 travel days.
- To get your expenses reimbursed you need to submit the expense form, the receipts required (Airfare (separate from your lodging) or other travel method, Baggage, Lodging, Conference Fees) from your trip (so hold on to them!) as well as your conference report (You’ll get the form when you are approved) and your flight itinerary within 20 days of returning. The money will be directly deposited into your account by the Division.
- All other expenses, including meals, are covered under a $75 per diem. You only need the receipts above, everything else is covered under this per diem. You get the $75 for each day, including your travel day or portion thereof.
- Your expenses on the application form are estimates. Apply, estimate, go, keep your receipts, and you’ll be reimbursed for what you actually spend up to the maximum.
Guidelines change every year. Check the PPDF guidelines. We are always here to answer any questions, so feel free to give the office a call if you have any questions before submitting your application.