As educators, we encourage our students to be lifelong learners. To continuously learn, unlearn and relearn. This is an interesting concept, and correlates to our responsibility as educators to make an ongoing effort to improve professionally by participating in ongoing professional development (PD). This memo will provide local PD opportunities, funding options and Personal Professional Development Fund information.
Manitoba Teachers’ Society PD Workshops
- October 17-18, 2018: FAB 5 Beginning Teacher Conference – WINNIPEG
- October 18-19, 2018: FAB 5 Beginning Teacher Conference – BRANDON
- October 18-19, 2018: Supervision & Evaluation: A Toolbox for Principals
- November 26-27, 2018: Crucial Conversations®
- December 10-11, 2018: Managing Conflict with Clarity, Confidence, and Courage
- January 21-22, 2019: Mental Health First Aid for Adults who Interact with Youth
- February 1-2, 2019: Collective Efficacy: The Power of Working Together
- March 8-9, 2019: Women in Educational Leadership Symposium LEAN IN/LEAD ON: Building Capacity, Confidence, and Voice
- March 11-12, 2019: Authentic Equity: Moving Beyond Celebrating Diversity
- March 25 & 27, 2019: Mental Health First Aid for Adults who Interact with Youth
- April 6, 2019: Crucial Conversations® 2.0: Reflection & Follow Up
A thorough description for specific workshops can be found here: http://www.mbteach.org/pdfs/pd/PD_2018-19_Workshops.pdf
To register for all MTS Workshops here is an easy guide: http://www.mbteach.org/pdfs/pd/pro-HowToRegisterOnlineForAnEvent_2018.pdf
Funding for Professional Development
There are several avenues to help fund Professional Development
- MTS Grants: https://www.mbteach.org/mtscms/2017/03/13/mts-grants/
- Personal Professional Development Fund (PPDF)
RETTA Personal Professional Development Fund Quick Facts
- The fund is intended to stimulate and provide financial assistance for personal professional development of Members such as Educational leave and attendance at conferences, seminars, and workshops.
- Non credit courses.
- Professional programs organized by outside agencies
- There are now two terms to apply for PD
- For PD occurring in the first term (July 1st – January 31st) applications open on the first working day in June.
- For PD occurring in the second term (February 1st – June 30th) applications open on the first working day in October.
- Up to two Winnipeg activities may be funded up to $500 per Member in a given school year
- Once every three years, a teacher may access up to $1950.00 in a lump sum for an out of-Winnipeg activity
- Further PPDF details can be found here: https://retta.ca/ppdf/